Tuesday, July 14, 2015

1939 Knucklehead Maintenance...Like I said...Never ending

Running Shitty, Trans Leaking Badly, Broken Buddy Peg Bracket...time to go to work...

Start with the Running Shitty part...

Hhhhmmm caked with goo....

A sparkling new Champion D 21 which is hotter than a D 16.  I read about it on a tractor web site and started using them last year to help burn off the crud...it doesn't seem to be putting a dent in the "Dirty Nine"'s cruddiness...oh well just like a baby...Clean and Change oftener...

Now to the Trans Leaking Badly section...the only clean spot on the "Dirty Nine" due to 25 years of adding 50W to the trans almost daily...at least every time I ride it...

Rather than fixing the leak I'm gonna try Gear oil...

Topped off nicely...I'm guessing it will have drained out onto the shop floor by morning but we'll see...

OK, time to fix / replace the broken Buddy Peg Bracket...

It's an early one with no holes...need to find a suitable replacement...

Found one!

Found a matching peg as well....I didn't want to disturb the crustiness around the peg nut on the one I removed...I'll get that one welded up at some point...

...and that's all for now...
I took it out for the afternoon and it ran like a dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment