Thursday, November 6, 2014

Panhead Project..Fired up on First Kick...




Even getting this shift linkage to work was a bitch!
More cutting, threading and grinding...

I had to shorten the rod and shorten the shifter rod ends!

Used the -51 rod set up...

So after cutting grinding, threading and cursing we finally got the shift linkage to work...can't explain why it was too long to work (the rod is 18 inches just like Palmer's book says it should be). I had to shorten the rod and the rod ends to make it all fit...
After that I said fuck it...let's start this thing...that, as it turns out, was the easiest part of the whole project! The tanks held gas and none of the lines or fittings leaked! A few prime kicks to get the gas flowing to the Linkert and she fired right up!
What's left? Waiting on a floor board mount on the clutch side, finish wiring, permanent install of the battery, make a bracket and install the taillight, air cleaner, oh and we're waiting on a couple of parts for the steering damper,
That should be it...besides final adjustments of course...

1 comment:

  1. I got boned by the palmer book when I made up a rear brake drum rod for my knuckle. It was too short. I just got the 2nd edition in the mail a couple of days ago (signed even ! ) I haven't had time to check and see if that was corrected but there is a ton of new info. Congrats on getting through the torturous world of aftermarket parts and rising to victory. When is the start up video being posted.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete