Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Panhead Project...Final Headlight Install or Making RePop Pop...


Ready for headlight install

Get rid of this Repop crap hardware...

Replaced with stuff that looks better...

Not sure why I'm going through the trouble but I just hate that Taiwan looking hardware...I had to re-tap the terminal mount holes...

Looks OK...but has a grounding problem...

Grounding fixed and and it finally works!


Had to get creative with the wiring due to the lack of stock terminals in our custom install. Came right outta the handle bar into the power wire and head light...looks OK...



 In "helping" Tyler put this Panhead together over the past year (or so) I've learned much about making reproduction parts work. There is a lot of grinding, tapping, bending, finishing, trashing and re-ordering involved on EVERYFUCKINTHING! 
Due to the lack of availability and/or price gouging of original parts (EBAY, etc.) it was necessary to use quite a few reproduction parts to get this bike together...not something I'm used to...but as stated a necessity in this case. Now don't get me wrong,.. I have used the occasional Repop part when needed on my stuff, especially hardware, so I am somewhat familiar with what it takes to make it fit and look OK...Now I'm very familiar!
The other fun part about building this particular bike is making all this stuff work and look good while transcending various years (decades in some cases) of the components we are blending together. We have a 1950 frame and tanks, a 1961 Engine, 1947 front fork, etc. Now in the old days it wasn't that big a deal...I would get my hardware from the local hardware store, bolt everything together and make it work...especially with a chopper or bob job...
However, it is nice that the original style hardware is available, although costly...anyone that has walked away from Old Dude's stand at an AMCA meet with a small zip lock bag of screws and washers and an empty wallet knows what I'm talking about...still happy to get it!
It's funny...at the end of every night that we work on this project, the kid leaves with a list of odds and ends we need to finish this up...every night!
More to come but  I think we're in the home stretch...just in time for winter...





No comments:

Post a Comment