Sunday, December 29, 2013

Red Death...


This is what we call the "Red Death" for your primary chain.
Not enough or no oil getting to the primary. Time to fix the problem and install a new chain...

I removed my primary oil adjustment screw...

It had 14 shims on it already!


After hitting the hole with a shot of brake cleaner, I blew air into it to ensure clear passage...I then checked the breather/oiler in the primary and the air was passing through...

I borrowed a jam nut from the much longer Panhead pump adjusting screw.This way I can eliminate the 14 shims and have better (easier) control over the adjustment.

New chain installed...
Foot Note: The inner primary was powder coated red at one time. 
I blasted it and painted it black but left the inside red, it has nothing to do with the "Red Death" story...

Now I need to adjust everything ...as usual...

Everything is crusty and salty due to riding in the multiple 
snow storms in the past couple weeks...

Running to check oiling...
Knowing that the passage to the primary was clear I now wanted to make sure the oil was getting into the adjustment hole area. I left the screw out and ran the bike to ensure oil came out of the adjusting screw hole...it did...


Oil "O" Plenty!
I replaced the screw with the jam nut and flat washer installed (washer against the pump body) and messed with the setting while the bike was running until I got oil to the chain...If it's too much I'll back off the jam nut and bring in the screw...or maybe the problem was a clog that I fixed with the brake cleaner and air and I can go back to just some shims, either way she's oiling now! 
Now I know there is a proper setting of how many drops per second at a certain RPM is proper oiling (someone told me once)...but fuck if I can remember...I'll stick with over oil and screw in as needed...

No comments:

Post a Comment