Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Saturday Van Load with a "Kicker"...



Nice Buddy Seat...


S&S Shorty

Exhausting...

STD Cone Motor Cases...???


A nice pair...

Groovy





'60 and up headlight housing




1960 FLH lower end (without cases)

Joe Hunt

Most of a 60 FLH Motor

Cool!




Dresser stuff...

The makings of a Pan Trans....





Duo Glide shocks...


Wide Glide stuff

Buddy seat springs








The "Kicker" a '77 XLCH...



After Cliff left on Saturday I called a guy I'd met in a bar the week before. I had over heard him talking about a trailer full of Panhead parts he had and the fact that his three sons had no interest in it (sounded familiar)... I struck up a conversation, got a number and set up a viewing for the weekend.
I jumped in the van with a pocket full of cash and took a ride to see the pile. We were negotiating when he mentioned that he had a 77 Sportster in the shed...now normally I wouldn't have cared much but I took a look at it. It hadn't run in a bunch of years, two flat tires, dead battery, old gas, and covered in shed dirt.
A few beers later and more negotiating and I decided to take it all....my first Sportster...ugh...
After getting the bike home I noticed it was actually in pretty good shape. It's a 77 Kick start only XLCH. I wiped it down and the paint was nice, the motor had no chromed stuff and the oxidation had not set in. I aired up the tires and gave it another look...not bad!
I hooked it up to my van battery but no spark. The lights all worked but nothing to the points I wasted a few minutes on this problem...then it dawned on me... it has an Off/Start switch...dummy...Well it had plenty of spark so I figured what the hell and kicked it. It started up after a couple of kicks and then died. I then figured out how to use the petcock. I kicked it again and it fired up and kept running! Old gas and all! Now the clutch was stuck and would not disengage...I'll fuck with that later...
I ran out and bought a $24 battery and installed it. I fired it back up, pointed it toward the yard (just in case) and jammed it in gear. The clutch held! I spun it around and blasted down the street. The thing ran great and was pretty quick from what I could tell...Not sure how long I'll have it...maybe I'll see if one of the kids wants to try it out...yeah right.
So, back to the parts. Nothing too great but I did get a 1960 pan trans, most of a 1960 motor (missing the cases). The guy stroked his and basically just used the cases. There's a bunch of miscellaneous stuff too. Carbs, magneto, 21" star hub wheel, Duo glide front fender, windshields, exhausts, a set of shovel cylinders shocks, wide glide stuff, STD cone cases, blah, blah, blah....
All in all, a worthwhile haul...

No comments:

Post a Comment