Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A Chance Encounter...





I was out on the "Dirty Nine" tonight at the local tavern when a guy yelled across the bar, "Is that your old bike outside?". He went on to explain that his dad was up from Alabama and was outside going crazy over it. He said his dad had told him he had the same bike when he was 15 and lived in this area. I asked if his dad knew what it was and he said, "I think so".  
Well that was an understatement.... his dad (Al) came in and said is that a '39? I said yes it is. He said, "the tail light doesn't look right", I said, "yup, that's cause the tail light is a '38".... At that point I knew he knew and he knew I knew....we talked for a long time, testing his memory on dates and events from the past. I even mentioned a couple of old timer's names that he knew back in the old days. 
Al had been a member of the Blue Comets MC and raced Harley 45's.  He was shocked at how interested I was in his experiences and past, and just couldn't believe the stories and stuff I told him. We walked outside and I fired up the "Dirty Nine" and told him to get on. He cranked up the throttle like a pro and commented on the "Milwaukee Vibrator". While we were out there shootin' the shit, a guy walked up and asked the same dumb question I always get..."Wow look at that old thing... Does that thing run?" Before I could get out the answer, Al says, "How the hell you think it got here? He didn't push it." ...Perfect!
 Al examined every detail of that old bike as it cleared his fogged memory banks. It was great to watch it unfold. I just absolutely love these encounters with old guys that rode and loved these bikes way back when...you never know when the stars will align to enable you to experience these chance meetings.... 
I got an email address and told him I would send him some pictures...
By the way, I asked what color his '39 Knuckle was...he said blue...hhhhmmm you never know... I also asked him what he did with it...he traded it for an Indian...yuk...I forgave him...

3 comments: