Sunday, August 19, 2012

Brookfield NY 2012 - Trippin' - Part One

Packed and heading out 7:15 AM Thursday


Crosstown Tavern Rt 191 still in PA just below Hancock NY


Sam's detached saddle bag now a shovelhead accessory

Sam's 47 U packed with one hung low...

Up in a puff of smoke and we're back on the road. Helmets go on here (just a mile from NY State)

Arriving at the (reopened) Rockdale Inn Rt 8. It was closed last year and we were deeply saddened. 
Sam adjusts his sack...

John's 71 outside the Rockdale Hotel...


As fate would have it our numbers began to grow at the Rockdale.

A quick stop at the Rock Inn (2 miles up the road from the Rockdale)

Bolt-On, Nimbus and Brough at the Beaver Den Diner Brookfield NY...

Set up camp under my favorite tree...

Completed several one handed beer holding broad slides and found this on the knuckle later that evening...

One of my favorite rides...Brookfield NY Empire Chapter AMCA meet. As you can see from my previous posts I adapted my "Burnout Queen" aka "Demon Bike" also know as "Barn Stormer" into a traveling machine. I retired my '50 Pan that I've taken on this ride for the past many years and figured it was time for the knuckle to be put into road service. I had originally planned to get my '47 Transformed Knuckle done and ride that up however ... life sometimes changes your plans...
I packed up the bike and hit the road early Thursday morning. I was to meet Sam and John in Hawley PA (about a hundred or so miles) at Pat's Tavern at 10 AM. I had a perfect ride, the weather was great and I arrived on time. Sam arrived about 10:15 and John arrived...John? (who by the way does not believe in cell phones). John arrived at noonish... aahhh what the hell, we were on vacation who cares. We greeted John and off we went Rt 6 to Rt 191. A gorgeous ride, winding roads, the river on one side, perfect weather.
I was way out front and lost sight of the boys. I pulled over to commune with nature for a minute or two and let them catch up. I heard a bike coming...there went Sam...then John...John? no John...oh well, I jumped on the Knuckle and headed north, I knew Sammy would stop at our lunch spot The Crosstown Tavern. We would then form a search party and look for John. I arrived at the Crosstown, Sam had already ordered lunch. As we pondered what happened to John I heard a bike, there he went blasting right past the Tavern heading north toward Hancock NY... I ordered my burger, jumped on the Knuckle and went after him. As I passed the Welcome to New York sign I realized I did not have my helmet on (a major difference between PA and NY for riding)...fuck it...I found John, he had pulled over at the Auto Parts store. He was laughing and pointing to the back of his Shovel...strapped to his rear rack was Sam's Lock-tite saddle bag stuffed with tools. The bag had left Sam's bike and slid across the road like road kill in front of him. We arrived back at the Tavern and my burger was just being set on the bar... perfect. We all had a good laugh at Sam's expense, enjoyed lunch and headed north. We picked up Rt 17 in Hancock NY and over to Rt 8 in Deposit NY.
We pulled into the (reopened) Rockdale Hotel (which was closed down last year) and took a break. Whilst relaxing on the front porch we heard bikes coming. It was Petey, Blue Sport, Desh and Pat from Jersey. The boys joined us for a beverage and no sooner did they get settled in when Bolt-On and Wild Bill rode past. We flagged them in and soon we were joined by Richie from Jersey as well. We were only about 50 miles from our destination so we hung out a bit too long. Eventually we made it to the fairgrounds and the meet (after a quick stop at The Rock Inn). We set up camp and kicked back with a bunch of friends that had already made it up there...
More to come on the meet.

1 comment: