Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Bike Night at the Main Gate - Allentown Fairgrounds

A real mixed bag...

Triumph Chopper - One of the few things of interest 


Hey...a Shovelhead...

No idea what this is...

Of course I blended right in...

The real point of interest...The old Allentown Race Track and Grand Stand!!!

There's a big bar called the Main Gate at the Old Allentown PA Fairgrounds. It's a pretty cool place with a semi-outdoor bar and band stage, there's also an outdoor upper deck with a bar. They have a bike night on Tuesdays. I was there a couple of years ago and it was packed. I headed up last night and it was pretty slow. A lot of rice rockets and newer bikes. The band was pretty good and from the upper deck I had a great view of the Old Allentown Race Track and Grandstands. I have old footage from the 1940's of flat track races up here. The track is only used once a year as a parking lot during the Allentown Fair... what a shame...the track is actually in pretty damn good shape except for a section in front of the grandstands that was fenced off.

I could not help the temptation... when leaving the bar I lit up the rear tire and popped across the road right into Turn 2. I blasted down the straight away and took Turn 3 with a foot down. I had to slow up fast after Turn 4 as to not hit the fence that stretched across the track just past the turn... I spun the knuckle around and did it backwards (well not actually backwards but in the opposite direction)...it felt weird doing right hand turns on the dirt track... But it felt fuckin' great! and from what I hear the folks on the upper deck enjoyed the show! 
I would love to see this track back in action...I have to make a few phone calls...

No comments:

Post a Comment